Some of life’s most cherished moments occur around the table. Seabourn Chef Tony Egger shares an easy pasta dish recipe sure to please all palates at home.
Orecchiette Pasta with Italian Sausage, Broccoli Rabe, Cherry Tomatoes and Parmigiano‑Reggiano
- ½ pound / 225 grams orecchiette pasta or any other textured short pasta
- ½ pound / 225 grams Italian sausage, casings removed, pick into 1-inch small clumps
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 handfuls cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe, roughly chopped
- 1 handful pitted and drained Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 handfuls Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated / shredded
- coarse kosher salt
Let’s Cook It…
Step 1 — Cook the Italian Sausage
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until shimmering.
- Add the Italian sausage pieces and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes depending on size.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a plate.
Step 2 — Cook the Broccoli Rabe and Pasta
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the broccoli rabe quickly for 1 minute and transfer using a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain the water.
- In the same boiling water, cook also the pasta until al dente (read cooking instructions on pasta package you use).
- Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water.
Step 3 — Cook the Cherry Tomatoes
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet along with the sliced garlic, and cook for 1 minute then add the cherry tomato halves and crushed red pepper; cook over moderately high heat for 1 more minute.
- Add the reserved pasta cooking water and cook over moderate heat, scraping up any browned bits and crushing the tomatoes, until the liquid is reduced by half and the tomatoes are nearly broken down, about 4 minutes. Then season to taste with salt.
Step 4 — Finish the dish
- Add the pasta to the skillet along with the Italian sausage, Kalamata olives, broccoli rabe and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook, stirring, until the pasta is evenly coated, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, transfer to bowls and top with freshly grated Parmigiano‑Reggiano.
Happy “Stay Home” Cooking! with Chef Tony Egger